If you no longer use a YouTube account, it may be time to delete it for good. Though each YouTube account is linked to a Google account, you do not necessarily have to remove the entire account just to get rid of a YouTube channel. Our guide to how to delete a YouTube account will show you how easy it is to remove your unwanted account with YouTube.
In this article, you can learn each step in deleting any YouTube account.
How to Delete a YouTube Account: Step-by-step Instructions
1. Go to the YouTube official page on your web browser.
2. Sign in to the account you would like to delete.
3. Click your username in the upper right hand corner to make a drop down menu appear.
4. Pick the “Settings” option in the drop down menu.
5. Choose the Manage Account” link located on the left side of the page under the “Account Settings” tab.
6. Click the “Close Account” button that is located under the “Close Account” subsection.
7. Provide a reason for your decision if desired. You do not have to tell YouTube why you are leaving if you do not want to.
8. Click the “Close Account” button again.
9. Read through the warning of what will happen when you close your account.
10. Confirm your decision by clicking “Close Account” again.
Once you do these steps, all your videos, comments, and channel information will be removed. You or anyone else will not be able to create a new channel with the old username either. However, keep in mind that your video thumbnails might continue to show up on search engines for a week or two after deletion.
If you need more information on how YouTube account deletion works, check out the Google Support center.