Though Gmail is an effective email service, some people are not comfortable with the lack of privacy that is associated with Gmail. It can also be necessary to delete a Gmail account if you have multiple accounts that are getting confused. When you are deleting your Gmail account, you need to be careful to not delete your Google account too. Follow this article’s instructions to remove your Gmail account.
How to Delete a Gmail Account: Step-by-step Instructions
- Go to mail.google.com in a web browser and login to your Gmail account by entering your email and password in the appropriate areas.
- Click your profile picture in the top right-hand corner to reveal more information.
- Select the blue “My Account” button.
- Choose the “Account Preferences” option located on the right side of the page.
- Scroll down and click on the “Delete Google Account and data” section.
- Select the “Gmail” option.
- Check the box confirming you want to permanently delete your Gmail account and understand the consequences.
- Add a new email address for your Gmail account if desired.
- Click the red “Remove Gmail” button to finish the delete Gmail account process.
How to Delete a Gmail Account from Phone
You can also remove unwanted Gmail accounts from phone. Here are steps for both Android and iOS devices.
Delete Gmail Account on Android
- Go to the “Settings” menu on your Android device.
- Search for the “Accounts” section.
- Click on the Google account you wish to delete.
- Click on “Remove account”.
Delete Gmail Account on iOS
- Tap on the “Settings” icon on your iPhone or iPad menu.
- Click on “Mail”.
- Select “Accounts”.
- Click on “Gmail”.
- Tap “Delete from my iPhone” from the “Delete Account” section.
If you wish to simply remove a Gmail account, open your Gmail app and tap on “Sign out of all accounts” option. This way, you will remove all accounts. You will need to add back the one that you are interested in using, if any.
Many people use Gmail to access other Google services, but it is still possible to continue using your Google account even without a Gmail. Just be sure to add a new, non-Google email address to your account before deletion. Once you go through the deletion process, Google with remove all of the contents of your email within two business days. You may be able to recover your account during this time period by following the Gmail recovery process.